Are you having trouble getting your point across in writing? Or maybe you’re trying to write a persuasive essay and just can’t seem to get started. Don’t worry, you’re not alone. In fact, there are a few things you can do to make your writing more persuasive and engaging.
ESL students, do you want to learn how to write persuasive essays? If so, you’re in luck! In this post, we’ll teach you six successful persuasive writing strategies. So what are you waiting for? Read on and get started!
Why Persuasive Writing is so Important?
Writing persuasively is an essential skill for anyone trying to communicate with others. Whether you want to convince someone of your opinion, make a case for something, or influence people’s thinking on a certain topic, this ability can be very useful.
The Importance of Good Persuasive Writing Strategies
To create the best persuasive essays possible, you need to find good strategies that work for you. After all, your strategy determines how effectively persuasive your essay will be. Some students struggle because they don’t know what their specific writing style should be or how to begin putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). Fortunately for you, not only are we going help you prevent these mistakes but show you some tricks too!
6 Helpful Tips for Writing the Best Persuasive Essay
In order to write a successful persuasive essay, you’ll need to know what writing strategies will help you achieve that goal. And we’re just the people to teach you exactly that! Want to learn our top six rules for persuasive writing? Keep on reading because here they are:
1) Start with a Solid Foundation – You never want your foundation to be shaky or unreliable. While some people prefer starting from scratch, others think it’s best to have an outline first. It really depends on your style and preferences so take some time thinking about which option is right for you. Then use that as a basis for your essay , whether it be the introduction or all three paragraphs.
2) Use Good Essay Structure – While this isn’t the type of thing most people learn in school, it’s still extremely important for effective persuasive writing. Adequate essay structure usually consists of three main components: a beginning, middle, and end. The beginning sets up your argument by giving readers an idea on what you will be discussing while the conclusion summarizes what you’ve said . This way, anybody who reads your essay can easily understand its main points without having to go back or re-read anything.
3) Be Concise – Even though long essays are sometimes easier to write than shorter compositions , this is not something that should be encouraged in academic settings like schools or universities . Nobody wants to read 10+ pages of text in a single sitting, especially since it can get boring and tedious after a while. What you should do is be concise; keep your sentences short and to the point when writing with this strategy in mind . You can break long sentences into smaller ones or add some transitional words like “also,” “however,” and “instead” to help it flow better.
4) Use Descriptive Language – When trying to persuade others of your opinion, descriptive language is very important because it allows readers to visualize what you’re saying and creates good mental images that will stick with them long after they’ve stopped reading. Some people think using big words makes for effective writing but this isn’t always the case. In fact, sometimes simpler phrases work best as they’ll stick with the reader as opposed to words that he or she might not understand .
5) Vary Sentence Length and Structure – Just like the other points we’ve discussed, varying sentence length and structure is another factor you should consider. Sometimes short sentences work well; other times it’s better to use long ones . To make your writing interesting and easy for readers to follow, mix things up a bit by using different kinds of sentences throughout your essay.
6) Show, Don’t Tell – This advice probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone since this is something most people have heard before. But what does it really mean? It means instead of telling readers what you believe or intend to do , show them through examples and details. This works better because it engages their minds and allows them to come up with their own conclusions, which is often more favorable for the writer .
These persuasive essay tips can be very beneficial if followed closely so make sure you take time reviewing them whenever necessary. While nobody will ever be a perfect writer , you’ll definitely write better essays by following our advice!
In the article above there are 6 helpful writing strategies that we can use when writing my persuasive essay. These include having a strong foundation, using good essay structure, being concise, using descriptive language, varying sentence length and structure, and showing instead of telling.
What are some examples of Persuasive Writing?
The best examples of persuasive writing are topics that people can’t agree on. For example, if you’re arguing over the use of euthanasia, capital punishment or abortion this would be an effective subject because it’s debatable and people have different opinions. If you want to write about how great your school is then there probably won’t be enough evidence to convince others this is true.
What types of Persuasive Writing are there?
There are many different types of persuasive writing but essays are the most popular form because they allow us to express our ideas in a clear manner than can be read by many people. Other forms include speeches, letters, book/movie reviews etc.
Why do we need good Persuasive Writing skills?
If persuasive writing was not important in our lives, then there wouldn’t be so many books written with this purpose in mind. Our ability to persuade others is what helps us form opinions and express our points of view, which can help solve problems that are too difficult for one person to deal with on their own.
How do you improve the quality of your writing?
The best way to improve the quality of your writing is by reading more. This gives us ideas about style, format etc. Also, when we read more it becomes easier for us to pick up certain styles or techniques used by published authors or experts etc. If you want to improve your essay skills, try reading online articles about different topics because this will boost your vocabulary skills and, of course, make you a better writer!
How many words should an article have?
There is no right or wrong amount for how many words an article should have. The main thing is that it needs to be enough information to cover the topic without being too long. This will depend on what kind of essay you are writing though because some types require more/less details than others. For example, if you were writing a summary then it would only need to include the most important points, while a persuasive essay might need several examples etc.