8 Figures of Speech with Examples; Figures of speech are used to add some meanings in the sentence which might not be seen with the help of words. Showing different points and intervals in a conversation is called punctuation. In English language, figure of speech are as significant definite words.
8 Figures of Speech in English
1) Quotation Marks: (Speech marks)
Its symbol is (“”). Quotation Marks express words in a sentence which are purely from speaker. They are also known as inverted commas. Usually Quotations of all types are written with the opening and closing of these inverted commas. Quotation Marks show exactness of speech.
- “You have been working hard for 6 hours”, she said “Let’s go out to dinner”
- “Why did you stare me this way?” I asked the manager.
- She said, “I have taken ice cream, vanilla”.
- “She promised me and said “I will meet you tomorrow”.
- They do not believe in “Honesty is the best policy”.
Basically, Hyphen performs two different main functions in speech. These two functions are summarized below;
- It is used to form compound words; these are words which are made up of more than one word. Compound words occur when two words are put together to serve as an adjective. Generally, these compound words, which are formed by hyphen give single meanings.
- The services on the London-Korea-China are great.
- We are increasing on-site facilities for the workers.
- Half way up the mountain, I suddenly went snow-blind.
- I have flown Lahore-Swat route to Jeddah.
A hyphen is also used after prefix of a word. All prefixed words are not hyphenated. Often prefixes are also placed with the words without hyphen.
- Chandni Chowk is an over-crowded place.
We planned to go abroad for post- graduation.
Its symbol is (.). The full stop is the most common figure of speech in the English language. It consists of two main functions which are summarized bellowed such as:
1) It is used at the complete end of a sentence.
- I am ready to go to swat at a trip.
- Everybody is busy in earning money.
- It also indicates an abbreviation. It is most commonly used in American English ,
- Fizz arrived at 9 in the school today.
- Aslam diagnosed his patient at the hospital.
Its symbol is (,). The figure of speech which joins two or more ideas in a sentence or separates the items in a series. Generally, comma is used to connect structurally more than two nouns and clause.
- She is tall, beautiful, slim and talented.
- Surely, Pakistan will win the match.
- To win the prize, he struggled hard.
- Sitting under a tree, we ate food.
- He likes mango, but he does not like pineapple.
5) Exclamation Mark:
Its symbol is (!). This symbol is placed at the end of such sentences in which the expressions of an emotion is intended. This symbol is used to make sentence. It is also used in formal writing.
- What a pretty girl!
- “Never”! she cried.
- Alas! The man is dead.
- Wow! You have shown outstanding result.
- Hurrah! We won the match.
- If I were a doctor!
6) Question Mark:
Its symbol is (?). Another important figure of speech in English language is Question mark. It shows that question is being asked, the speaker is seeking an answer to something.
- Why is she crying?
- Where do you live?
- How is your bro?
- What is your name?
- Can I borrow your dress?
- Note: indirect question, this figure of speech, is not used.
- She asked if he would help her
- Me asks why she is crying.
Its symbol is (……). If you don’t want to reveal the unnecessary part of person’s speech, then there are parentheses are used.
- Aslam really don’t know what he is going to cook….
- Are you…. Are you mad?
- I have been wondering ……and I hope you agree …. that we should be business partners.
- He really doesn’t know …. what he should do in the future.
Its symbol is (;). The figure of speech which connects the two complete sentences which are related to each other. It is also give information about the word followed by semicolon.
- He eats vegetables; I eat meat.
- I like to invest in real Estates it brings huge profit.
- Bilal is a typist; he makes few mistakes.
- In the bazaar, I bought four things; my sister bought only two things.
- I am suffering from fever; therefore, I cannot go out today.